Last night was incredible. Well, yesterday overall was a really great day, but the evening show took the cake of my entire experience thus far.
The other girls are at my place for the weekend, and we managed to find a "Centre Sportif" near my house where we went swimming and did some aquasize to the amusement of the children taking our picture. I get to go to this place for free with work, so I'll likely go again and also check out tournaments and games going on. Rugby is picking up here and I'de love to watch a game!

We then met Hilaire, a friend I met last time, downtown and made our way to the university stadium, where we heard the closing ceremonies of FESPAD (festival pan-afrique du dance) were taking place. For 2 dollars we watched the most incredible performance. The stage was built like a replica of the traditional King's palace, with the ground even sculpted into risers. There was lighting and speakers and even screens on the side - the folk fest/stampede of Rwanda. There were also a couple cowboy hats in the stands... no beer tent to be found though.
First some local singers performed, many whom sing raggae or rap in Kinyarwanda. The dance moves were hilarious to watch and some of the singers were really talented. Then the traditional dancing started, where delegates from countries all over Africa performed their traditional (or modified) dancing. It was unreal - the athletisism and talent was awesome. As I sat and listened I was completly mesmorized; the beat of the drums shook my bones. The spirit and freedom of the dances made me want to get up and join them, and connect to every single person there. Music is truely the universal language, and reflects a culture entirely. I couldn't help but think of how regemented the dance steps are in north american dancing like the waltz, and how that may reflect our own obsession with time, rules, and order. This dancing was different. This dancing was about the soul.
My favorite were the Burundi drummers who carried the drums on their head while playing them (SO UNREAL!) and the Rwandan dancers because of the number and spirit. Rwandans seem to keep their emotions to themselves, but every single one of these dancers was moving with a passion and an enormous smile on their face.
The other girls are at my place for the weekend, and we managed to find a "Centre Sportif" near my house where we went swimming and did some aquasize to the amusement of the children taking our picture. I get to go to this place for free with work, so I'll likely go again and also check out tournaments and games going on. Rugby is picking up here and I'de love to watch a game!
We then met Hilaire, a friend I met last time, downtown and made our way to the university stadium, where we heard the closing ceremonies of FESPAD (festival pan-afrique du dance) were taking place. For 2 dollars we watched the most incredible performance. The stage was built like a replica of the traditional King's palace, with the ground even sculpted into risers. There was lighting and speakers and even screens on the side - the folk fest/stampede of Rwanda. There were also a couple cowboy hats in the stands... no beer tent to be found though.
First some local singers performed, many whom sing raggae or rap in Kinyarwanda. The dance moves were hilarious to watch and some of the singers were really talented. Then the traditional dancing started, where delegates from countries all over Africa performed their traditional (or modified) dancing. It was unreal - the athletisism and talent was awesome. As I sat and listened I was completly mesmorized; the beat of the drums shook my bones. The spirit and freedom of the dances made me want to get up and join them, and connect to every single person there. Music is truely the universal language, and reflects a culture entirely. I couldn't help but think of how regemented the dance steps are in north american dancing like the waltz, and how that may reflect our own obsession with time, rules, and order. This dancing was different. This dancing was about the soul.
My favorite were the Burundi drummers who carried the drums on their head while playing them (SO UNREAL!) and the Rwandan dancers because of the number and spirit. Rwandans seem to keep their emotions to themselves, but every single one of these dancers was moving with a passion and an enormous smile on their face.
Lion King on Broadway and Young Canadians, eat your heart out
No comments:
Post a Comment