Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Democratic Rights

I can remember the first time my dad took me to the polling station with him. It was at Sacred Heart School, down the street from our house. It was a warm day, so maybe it was spring, and I remember thinking it was a very special occasion. I got to watch him fill in the black X on his ballot and he let me put it in the box. I thought it was a really cool thing that grown-ups got to do. Now that I get to vote, it's something I still look forward to.

Yesterday I recieved my ballot in the mail so that I can vote in the upcoming Canadian election. I think it's pretty amazing that my right to vote is recognized to the extreme that I can vote from Rwanda. I was really glad I got to, because I think that the upcoming election is going to be critical to whether Canada continues to be a country that cares about its people. Not only that, but if any Rwandan were to find out I didn't vote they would be very dissapointed in me.

You see, Rwandans understand the power of voting. They have fought long and hard for the right to have a say in how their country is run. During the parlimentary election that took place 3 weeks ago, 98% of elegible voters cast their ballots (and in Canada there are free concerts to get people out...). Although there is a lot of subtle propaganda here regarding the party in power, the fact that there remains a democracy in a state that suffered extremely during a civil war merely 14 years ago is not only a feat, but slightly miraculous. No one here takes their right to vote for granted.

Neither should you. If you want to be able to complain about the government, make your voice heard, and see positive changes in your country, then make sure you get out and vote. Exercise your democratic right and duty. If anything, do it for all those who cannot.

No comments: