Wednesday, November 5, 2008

History

"Wake up. He won"

My phone beeped at 6:21 this morning, a text from L letting me know I can start to restore my faith in the American people, and begin to believe that change is possible.

Last night on my way to an 'election party' at a restaurant, I walked past a group of children who were fighing over who got to be Obama. A king of the hill type game with a political twist. The energy buzzed and the talk is constant A black man is president of America. As much as I think that's a label given to him and not personally embraced, there is still a lot to be said for it. A source of inspiration, a great moment in history. Where were you when Obama was elected? Why, I was in Africa, a world apart but not so far away.

As I listened to his speech this morning I couldn't help but think that Yes We Can! will be my generation's I have a Dream. I was moved a little more than I would like to admit. A day for the books, a moment to remember, a glass ceiling shattered and a reminder of the potential that determination and leadership hold. A fine day, indeed!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Claire,

Beautifully written commentary on the election of Barack Obama. This entry is the counter point to your comments on situation in DRC. It is possible to hope for a better world, especially with responsible and intelligent leadership at the international level. Your contribution to the nursing profession in Rwanda adds to the refrain heard around the world - Yes We Can

Love,

Dad

Anonymous said...

Europe is celebrating. I am hopeful and inspired. Our destiny is is our own and I want to do my part - Yes I can... Yes we can... Nancy

Anonymous said...

As much as I do not like the catchy phrase "yes we can", I will have to agree with you. I am looking forward to hearing about the excitement you stumble up on about the election of the first African American president.


Liam

Claire said...

well for starters, kenya has declaired the rest of the week a national holiday and they have increased the number of flights going in so you can join the celebration!

Also, it is likely that every family will now have a child named Barack.