Friday, November 7, 2008

Perspective

I joined a writer's club here in Kigali... random, i know. Here is a poem I shared there this week, inspired by what I see here everyday.

Perspective
I see a young woman,
A mother of three,
Tender, earnest, loving,
A life of responsibility.

You see a young girl,
A victim of idiocy,
Cold, incapable, ragged,
A life void of what could be.

I am in awe of her grace,
Her refusal to give up,
Her strength, faith, and courage,
Yet they are still not enough.

You are in complete disgust,
Appalled that she would even,
Dare to make her eldest beg,
A street brat, a heathen.

You can't see her scars,
I know her agony is far more than skin deep,
She toils each day, not respected,
Just to make ends meet.

You preach kindness to all,
Peace, love, acceptance should fall free,
Yet you can't even see,
She's just a woman like me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Claire, this poem is beautiful!
Aunt Cathy