Saturday, January 17, 2009

Mixed around Upside down Rightside up Parallels and Crossroad

I am feeling...

Happy.Sad.Anxious.Tired.Excited.Curious.Peaceful.Sorrowful.Longing.Fulfilled.Friendship.Lonliness.Confused.

I have one week left in Rwanda. I don't know what to think about that. The irony is that I'm finally starting to get it. I feel a little anxious about delving into another transition phase of my life when I only really accustomised to this one within the last month. I have realised that a lot of my longing for home has been a coping mechanism for dealing with the difficulties, stresses and challenges of bearing witness to the injustice of our world. The poverty, inequality, and genocide are hard to grasp, and I'm only now allowing myself to jump head first into them. I think this is because the end is in sight, and if I cannot cope I know there is a way out: I'm going home.

For a long time I have stood on the water's edge, trying to navigate the lake without getting in. Had I known how hard that is, I would have jumped in sooner. Even though the shock of the cold water might strike hard at first, adjustment happens faster when you delve right in. Now that I'm here the water is nice, and I'm reluctant to climb back out.

Then, at the same time, I cannot wait. The next stage is enticing and exciting. I am especially anxious to be back with friends and loved ones. I'm looking forward to exchanging stories and unwinding my experience. A lot of it was too much to process while I was here and I know it will take time. I am eager for the future so I can figure out the present. What I have figured out, though, is this: with so much cruelty in the world, there is only time for kindness. I will carry this lesson close to my heart that aches for this country, humanity, and our world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My belle,
Life is a series of unturned corners. The anticipation of turning the next corner is often overwhelming and then you turn it and wonder how you can go back to where you started from. I have been there and I get that. It will be an adjustment going back and it will be difficult for your family and friends to relate to all that you have seen and done. My guess is that you will often feel lonely, consumed with your thoughts and experiences. You won't have only talked the talk but you have also walked the walk. Not many people can say the same. If coming home is anything like my homecoming from Romania, you will be overwhelmed with gratitude for just how fortunate you are. Your health, being loved, shelter, food, clothing, fresh running water... the things that most of our western world take for granted. Hold onto that gratitude which defines your values. We are amongst the lucky ones - that is for sure. I so look forward to catching up with you, whenever and wherever that might be. In the mean time, stop and smell the land; take photos with your eyes that will be printed in your memories; close your eyes and listen to the sounds of life around you; taste the spices and flavours that have become familiar to you; finally hold your new friends' hands for a moment longer than necessary - remembering....

See you in Canada!

Love always,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Claire,
I so understand how you are feeling and your experience has been something that will have changed the way you see the world. It will be an adjustment to come home but I for one can hardly wait until you are safely home again and look forward to hearing more of your stories. Have you done any sketching? Enjoy your last week with new friends, take lots of pictures and hold on to all the wonderful memories you have. I love you so much and am so proud of you!
Kel

Anonymous said...

Claire!
One week left, I can not believe it. You have accomplished so much in a short amount of time. I can only imagine the amount of people's lives you have touched and helped along your journey!
I have been contemplating taking a mini vacation in the next couple of months, so whenever and whereever you get settled in Canada you may be seeing your east coast nursing buddy!!!
Congrats again on your wonderful experience and best of luck with the next stages! you'll be awesome!
luv ya
kelsey