Thursday, July 24, 2008

Flax Trax

I don't know if you have ever enjoyed "flax trax" snack. It is a "salted flax and corn nibble" and is actually really addicting. Though I must say, I'm getting a little sick of it now. You see, my dear uncle Kirk gave me a HUGE bag of it in the airport, and I'm thinking "sweet! airplane snack!". Well the food on Kenyan airways is AMAZING and in London I enjoyed some curry, so it was forgotten at the bottom of my bag until my arrival.

When the legend of the flax trax began: it is all I have been eating here at home for the last 3 days. I ate out twice yesterday but my first day and today have been flax-a-go-go time. With a clif bar thrown in for good measure. But I will have you know that a mear 3/4 of a cup of this stuff is 280 calories, and even has some trace amounts of vitamin C and Iron. It's salt and fat content are horrible when you are snacking away mindlessly, but when it's making up a meal it is very welcome. Not to mention all the flax fiber is good for the ol' traveller's bowel.

Anyways, I just though you should all know how important it is to bring some flax trax along with you. Also a big shout out to Kirk Purdy for nourishing me all these days. I will find food soon... as soon as I don't have to work and can venture out in daylight. Until then, flax trax it is.

4 comments:

Cassandra said...

Claire, darling, I can't believe you actually did write a post about flax trax. They are pretty amazing though. Just think though- we'll meet after work (soon!), have sleepover fun tonight and hit the market tomorrow after umuganda is over. SO excited. I just had a cappuccino and half a box of chocolate biscuits for my lunch. Real food, what?

Anonymous said...

Pretty funny! I hope, by now, you have found some other food groups just to round out your diet. Keep up your writing...we are enjoying every story!

barb purdy said...

Claire,

I am viewing your blog from the beach house on Barbara's account. Great to see the stories and picture of you with new found friends. Great to see you are having fun over there.

I know that there is a boat leaving Halifax Harbor this afternoon destined for African shores. If I hurry, I can grab all the Flax off the shelf at Pete's Fruitique in Bedford Basin ... and make a timely shipment to you.

If a package of CARE FLAX doesn't arrive to you, by way of this address: "Clairabella, RWANDA, AFRICA", then expect that the shipment has found some worthy recipient along the way.

Cheers, Kirk

-CEW said...

hahaha nuttin' like flax to fix them bowels :P