Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Let the Stories Begin!

I am pooped after a full day researching what I'm going to need to know in order to teach a class in Adult Nursing II tomorrow morning first thing. We are doing a case study on broken jaws. Apparently I know enough about these sorts of things to engrain the information into Rwanda's future health care providers...

But in all seriousness, I'm really excited about this job. Last time I was here I really struggled with the fact that I didn't contribute a single thing, other than some coloring supplies to sick kids. I know that this job is going to provide me with confidence in knowing I have genuinly helped out. They are so desperate for nurses here to teach other nurses. Since they are just getting their degree program off the ground (thanks to a project supported by UWO and STFX) there is still a lot of curriculum development and many many other kinks to work out. If I wasn't here the students would have to wait around until someone appeared to teach them. They even have a student assigned as "head of class" and he records what they have learned on which days, so that with all the inconsistancy they can make sure they have learned what is necessary. Since there is no governing body (such as a nurse's college or association) those who graduate automatically pass nursing. There are so many more strides to be made and I'm really excited that I get to be apart of it. The best part of my day was when the Dean of Nursing gave me a huge hug and said "I've been waiting for you!!".

So I have already been fully ripped off as the stupid tourist. Yesterday, after meeting everyone at work and flying for 3 days the driver offered to take me to exchange money. I didn't know when the next opportunity would arrise, so I went with him and got some Rwandan francs. Next door was an MTN shop, the local phone service. I figured I may as well get that settled, too, so I asked to buy a SIM card and have my phone unlocked. The guy was english speaking, helpful, and set the whole thing up for me. I paid 40$ for that... 20$ for the SIM card. Katie bought hers at a different place today for 2$. HA I was fooled. Probably the guy hitting on me the whole time was set there as a distractor. As in making me think "How can I get this guy to piss off?" distraction. He chatted me up for sooooo long as the other guy went off somewhere with my phone to have it unlocked. Then chatted me up once again while the guy went off somewhere again to pay the guy who unlocked it. "Charles from MTN" wanted to have my number, so I had to give him a fakie because I knew I'de never hear the end of him and his LOVE FOR PEOPLE FROM CANADA! I was so tired that thankfully it just struck me as hilarious. My big booty is finally an asset.

I went out to "Republica" bar/ restaurant with 3 american women who are here at the guesthouse until sunday. It was much like the Rupublik in Calgary - wannabe high class. It actually was really good food with bruchetta served in lieu of a bread basket and real chicken. However, it seemed very unlike I was in Rwanda. I think the only Rwandan people there were with ex pats or other muzungos. The neighborhood I'm living in is very bourgeouis and I hope I can explore outside of it often. I think it would be very easy to come to Rwanda and never see poverty or the issue the country faces - there are many establishments and outlets to help you ignore it and pretend it is "westernized". I even found a mall today with a coffee shop much akin to North America's beloved Starbucks.

I learned how to say "how much does this cost" and "no, lower the price!" in Kinyrwandan today. The man who taught me didn't even know how ripped off I managed to get myself. Too bad I already forget, and like everyone's name I'll have to ask a million more times. Ah well there is only so much I can take in in one day. Please feel free to send emails or comments because news from home is always welcome!

No comments: